The first urban layout of the town of Guaimaro led to a plan was made in 1855 the hands of the public land surveyor Fabio Freyre and as the layout was finished the streets were named.
One of them was called Principe Street and went all over the town from east to west by way of turning point and had as limits Cruz Street to the west and Flores Street to the east.
In colonial times in the still dusty but large main street, some establishments like the hostelry The Red Eagle were located, and on April 10th, 1869 in a house that was located in that road a few meters from the corner of the street by then named General Manzano took place the first session of the Constituent Assembly in Guaimaro, that was the secret session where the board of the presidency of the Assembly was elected, that path changed its name at the settle of the republic and it was name to date Marti street.
Until 1929 it was a wide lane, unpaved or coble stoned in which following a line of facades, some houses with arcades and porches with sturdy columns were built showing the attraction of the route as an important central axis in town.
The twentieth century afforded it another story, the first society of education and recreation, the Society "La Luz", was founded in a place on Marti street adjacent to what is now the Bar "El Roxy" and almost in the middle with that property the Local Cattlemen Cooperative which led among other events the conclusion of the Livestock Fairs was established. In 1939 in the house marked with the number 78 it was founded in Guaimaro the first cell of the Communist Party and years later in May 1955, in another house of the same artery, this time marked with the No. 41 The July 26 Movement was founded in the town know as the Cradle of the First Cuban Constitution.
The street also welcomed and welcomes facilities such as the bus station from the line "La Hood", Los Muchachos Bar, gas stations, mixed stores, photo studios, banks, pharmacies, shoe stores etc.
After the triumph of the Revolution, some agencies and organizations such as Culture, Guaimaro Radio Broadcasting Station, the National Institute of Sports, Physical Education and Recreation (INDER), the Young Communists League (UJC, in Spanish), the post office, health centers, Computers and Chess clubs were settled on Marti Street in Guaimaro.
In the corner of this road with Ana Betancourt Street Fidel Castro Ruz stopped by, on the morning of January 4th, 1959 with the Caravan of Liberty, etc.
Through this main street some parades, marches, pilgrimages, demonstrations, celebrations have passed, making it a memorable and host street of events like carnivals, plastic performances that give a sense of belonging of Guaimaro citizens on Marti street that since 1929 leads the traffic of the central road and is the most active path of the city.